• Posted on December 15, 2012 10:59 pm
    By Chris
    Chocolate is poisonous to dogs

    Todays diary entry is sponsored by Waggy Tail Dog Bakery

    Most dogs owners will tell you that chocolate is poisonous, yet many can not tell you why, or how much is needed so hopefully I will clear up some of the myths here.

    Chocolate is poisonous to dogs

    The reason chocolate is poisonous to dogs is because it is produced using seeds from the Cocoa Tree (Theobroma cacao) which contains a chemical called theobromine.In addition many choclates contain other ingredients such as raisins or coffee beans which are also toxic to dogs.

    Theobromine belongs to a class of drugs known as methylxanthines which act upon the central nervous system. In addition they also cause muscular contractility in the muscles of the heart and skeleton which can lead to irregular heart rhythms and heart attack.

    Some people mistakingly believe that white chocolate is safe for dogs, however this is not the case. Whilst white chocolate has a lower concentration of theobromine than dark chocolate it still contains this toxic ingredient and so remains dangerous.

    How much chocolate is poisonous to dogs?

    Current research indicates that just 1.25 grams of dark chocolate per kilogram can be lethal to dogs and needs urgent veterinary treatment. This means that for a 20Kg dog, just 25grams of dark chocolate is enough to cause serious problems. Milk and White chocolate have a higher tolerance however veterinary advice is still urgently needed, and if there is extra ingredients in the chocolate such as raisins or coffee then its even more urgent.

    Signs and Symptoms of Chocolate Poisoning in Dogs

    The signs of chocolate poisoning in dogs commonly show within 4 hours from ingestion, however can take up to 24 hours to show in some cases. The signs including vomiting, increased salivation, increased drinking and urinating, exciteability, tremors, convulsions and muscles going rigid.

    What should you do if your dog eats chocolate

    If your dog has eaten chocolate you need to contact your vet immediately, try to work out how much they have eaten, and the type of chocolate it was. Also if it contains any other ingredients such as raisins or coffee you should tell your vet this. If you get your dog to the vet fast the prognosis is usually very good, however delaying seeking veterinary attention gives the chocolate time to enter the system and cause further problems.

    Todays diary entry has been sponsored by Waggy Tail Dog Bakery, bakers of handmade dog cakes and cookies from the finest  human grade ingredients!
    Waggy Tail Dog Bakery are dog bakers that produce handmade dog cakes and cookies in addition to the most stunning “theobromine free” dog chocolates I have come across! Their processes have been approved be DEFRA and they use only the finest human ingredients with no articifical colors, flavourings or preservatives!

    Posted in categories: A Close Look..., Vet School Diary
No comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *