- Posted on January 29, 2013 6:29 pm
Today’s Diary Entry is sponsored by Scampers Pet Shop
Following on from yesterdays diary entry on meat production in the UK, I’ve decided to share the recipe to my burgers. When I first started studying and looking at meat I realised that I’d rather not eat any of the supermarket produced burgers, and avoid fast food burgers completely. I started experimenting and actually came up with my own burger recipe that takes just a little more time to prepare, but gives amazing taste.
You can modify this as you like adding chili, peppers, chopped apple, tomatoes, cheese etc into the burger mix as you see fit. When you do this I recommend that you make a tiny burger (about the size of a 50p piece) to check the taste before you cook them all!
Ingredients: Minced (or ground) Beef, onion, 1 egg, pepper, salt, herbs, spices, boiling water, buns, salad, cheese and oil
- Separate the mince meat into a bowl, sprinkle on some pepper, salt, herbs (I like using Mixed herbs and paprika here). Finely chop half the onion and add this into the bowl then mix this up together using your hands to spread the herbs and pepper through the mix.
- Break the egg-white into a cup (DO NOT use the yolk) and beat this until you can see air bubbles in this. This is purely used as a binder to hold the meat together, dribble a tiny little bit of this over the mince mix and mix in with your hands. I will usually use a squeezing action here to turn the mince into more of a paste like consistency.
- Flatten the mix out around the bowl and sprinkle some more seasoning onto it, add a dribble of boiling water to allow easier mixing (the mix is more gooey now), and fold the edges in crushing down on it against the bottom of the bowl.
- Separate the mix into balls, press down on these to shape them into burgers and fry in a pan with a little oil over a low heat to cook throughout (you can turn this up at the end to crisp them up it you like or cook this on a BBQ/Grill instead).
- Serve in a bun with salad, and cheese.
Hopefully you will love these burgers as much as I do, its actually amazing being able to eat something knowing exactly what it contains!