- Posted on November 5, 2015 10:27 pm
Something that they don’t tell you when you start on the road to become a vet is the amount of death that you will see. This week I have seen everything from the euthanasia of a 1 hour old puppy, through to the emergency slaughter of a cow that could not stand.
This morning started with an owner and a fellow student carrying in the limp body of their dog, this is where you go from 0 to 60 in seconds. I was sat with 3 doctors talking about eyes, yet within seconds eyes were forgotten. One was taking care of getting an airway into place with intubation, another worked to get a IV cannula into the dog, another started chest compressions and I prepped emergency drugs. Unfortunately today we had an unsuccessful outcome.
Here in clinic we do not have a defibrillator, and sometimes I wonder if we did would we see better outcomes in resuscitation attempts… There are not really any real statistics in veterinary medicine on the survival with defibrillation. However in human heart attacks where CPR is given using a defibrillator within the first minute gives a 90% chance of survival with this decreasing by 10% every minute after. If defibrillation is not performed within 10 minutes of the cardiac arrest then the survival becomes just a measly 2%.
With this knowledge from the human field you can understand why I wonder about our veterinary patients. Is it the same?Posted in categories: Vet School Diary